4 Best Universities in the U.K. For a Nursing Career
Ever wanted to get into the field of medicine but didn’t feel like going through the academic equivalent of Hell that is med school? Would you rather focus more on the patients themselves, soothing them and calming their nerves during nervous times, rather than looking at the random wounds they’ve gotten over their lifetime and writing up prescriptions for them? Maybe the pressure of being a doctor is too great for you to handle-you are holding a person’s life in your hands, after all-so you’d rather be on the sidelines doing work that, while considered important, wouldn’t result in the loss of life if you messed up? Maybe you’re just a guy who wants a field comprised mostly of women so you can hit on all of them. If you find yourself in any of these statements, then studying nursing might be for you.
There are many reasons why one would choose to study nursing. Besides the reasons listed above, nursing teaches you a wide array of clinical, technical and interpersonal skills that could be applied to most facets of healthcare, including:
- Communication skills
- Critical-thinking skills
- Organizational skills
- Technical skills
- Clinical skills
This, on top of a great career outlook and job security, makes it a highly sought-after field. Keep on reading to find out the best yet affordable universities to study nursing in the United Kingdom.
Queen’s University Belfast
Speaking of studying in the U.K., another great choice for those in the region is Queen’s University Belfast. A high-quality university through-and-through, a few of the university’s achievements include:
- The city of Belfast itself, which has the lowest student rent in all of U.K. as well as the best public transportation
- An active campus filled to the brim with many exercise facilities and sports teams
- Amazing research opportunities and a strong focus on research culture
- Winner of many awards and accreditation in both academics and sports
If you’re interested in this institution then you can check out their programs here:
- Professional Nursing for Adults (Bachelors)
- Professional Nursing for Children and Adolescents (Bachelors)
University of Lincoln
Located near the Brayford Pool of Lincoln, the aptly named University of Lincoln has more to offer their students than just a pretty view of the local lake. There are many achievements this proud institution can boast of, but the most notable ones include:
- World-leading research with an emphasis on specific topics such as history and computer science.
- Active student life with its very own Student Union that even owns its own pub.
- In the centre of Lincoln, a bustling student city which manages to combine both the serenity of a suburban neighbourhood with the excitement you’d expect out of an urban area.
- Plenty of extracurricular activities to keep you occupied such as academic societies, sports clubs, advice centre, employability programme and various other events hosted by the Student Union.
If you’re interested you can check out their programs here:
University of Sunderland
Another overlooked college, the University of Sunderland has many virtues and benefits that pass by over the heads of many when they consider where to study nursing at. Some of the many benefits include:
- Extremely motivated staff and students in the university with a strategic plan spanning the next 5 years aimed towards:
- Student Success (better student performance)
- People Plan (inspiring university culture)
- Digital Plan (emphasis on technology)
- Environmental Sustainability (reduce impact on environment)
- Internationalization Plan (encourage more students from abroad to enroll)
- Financial Sustainability (not completely drain your wallet)
- Estates Plan (better classrooms)
- Research and Knowledge Program (better research)
- Multiple campus locations, including the coastal city of Sunderland, the capital city of London and even one far out in Hong Kong
- The major in question is in the Sunderland campus, which boasts not only a city with one of the lowest costs of living in the UK but also has the main administration and support services, library, lecture halls, and our excellent sport facilities at CitySpace.
If you are interested, you can check out their program here:
- Nursing (Bachelors)
- Nursing (Masters)
- Learning Disability Nursing Practice
- Mental Health Nursing Practice
King’s College London
Considered by many to be one of the top 25 universities in the world, King’s College has an outstanding reputation for both academics and research. In the 2014 Research Excellence Framework (REF) King’s was ranked 6th nationally in the ‘power’ ranking, which takes into account both the quality and quantity of research activity, and 7th for quality according to Times Higher Education rankings. For those looking to study in the U.K., this is a great option to look into alongside Queen’s University Belfast. Other achievements include:
- One of the world’s top research institutions, according to the QS International World Rankings.
- Holder of an HR Excellence in Research Award (more evidence to ensure high-quality research).
- 12 Nobel Prize winners.
If you’re interested, you can check out their program here:
And there you have it-just a few of the universities out there in the United States which offer quality education in the field of nursing. If you’d like to do some more digging on this particular major before deciding to settle in, or just want to look up more university related matters in general, then be sure to check out Udrus.